Founder and Executive Director of NJWA, Dr. Theodore K. Schlosberg holds a BA and an MM from Trenton State College, and an Ed.D. in Creative Arts from Rutgers University. Having studied privately on many musical instruments and voice, he is proficient in teaching and performing on most band and orchestral instruments, and conducting band, orchestra, chorus and musical ensembles. He has taught instruments to students from ages 3 to 95 for the past 53 years.
Dr. Schlosberg began his career teaching music in the Plainfield Public School District in 1960. In 1967, he joined the Westfield Public Schools, where he remained until 1996, when he retired to devote full time to the growth and development of NJWA.
Dr. Schlosberg is a professional French hornist and alphornist. He has performed commercials for Ricola , USA. He has performed on the alphorn for the UN at the invitation of the Swiss Mission to the United States and has also appeared on TV.
Dr. Schlosberg is the recipient of many awards and honors, among them the coveted Faith in Westfield Award given by the Westfield Chamber of Commerce, and the Community in Action Award given by Nat West Bank.
For additional information about Dr. Schlosberg, please click on one of the links below:
Educational & Affiliations
Honors & Awards
Founder and Executive Director, New Jersey Workshop for the Arts, Inc.
Master Teacher – Music
- Founder… Developed the concept for a non-profit Arts Education Workshop in 1972. Began the Westfield Summer Workshop as a locally based summer arts experience for children of pre and school age.
- Administrator... expanded the original arts education experience to a year-round music studio program to include private lessons on all instruments, voice and a variety of small and large ensembles.
- Breakthrough program developer... developed leading edge programs in fencing, pre-K and Kindergarten arts & music introduction, drawing workshop, The Music Connection, an instrument training program for children who are neurologically, developmentally and/or physically handicapped.
- Customer retention expert... leverages lifetime customer value... sets up direct marketing campaigns. Optimizes segmentation and customer targets.
Back to Top
Founder & Executive Director, 1960 – 1967.
- Plainfield School of Music
Founder & Executive Director, 1972 – present.
Back to Top
- New Jersey Workshop for the Arts:
- The Music Studio – instruction on all instruments & voice
- The Alphorn Workshop
- Home – Schooler’s Music Workshop.
- Kids On Keys – accelerated music theory learning program
- Ensembles – The Music Studio Jazz Band, Concert Band, Chamber Orchestra, String Training Orchestra, International NJWA Alphorn Ensemble.
- Summer Band & Symphony Orchestra
- The Westfield Summer Workshop, a 5-week summer arts program.
- Drawing Workshop
- Fencing Club
- Kids ‘n’ Arts & Tots ‘n’ Arts - Pre-school programs
- Westfield Art Gallery
- The Music Connection: Students who are neurologically, developmentally and/or physically handicapped.
- 2012 - present The College of New Jersey, Adjunct Faculty in String Techniques
- 1967 – 1996 Westfield Public Schools, Grades 3 – 9
- 1960 – 1967 Plainfield Public Schools, Grades 7 – 9
- Master Teacher – musical instruments
- Conductor: Strings and Symphony Orchestra – Concert Band – Chorus – Jazz Band
- Teaching children to play musical instruments from ages 31/2 to Senior Citizens.
- Teaching children with neurological, developmental or physical handicaps.
Back to Top
- Established Intermediate Symphony Orchestra – 1971.
- Established Region 2 Intermediate Concert Band – 1972.
- Selected to perform Taps at Memorial Day and Veteran’s Day events by the Veterans of Foreign Wars 1997 –present.
- Featured as Alphornist in commercials and special events for Ricola,USA.
- Performed throughout NJ with bands, orchestras, and chorus.
- Performed at Children’s Specialized Hospital in Mountainside, NJ.
- Performed at Senior Citizen Housing Developments, Community Festivals and Holiday celebrations.
- Performed in Westfield Musical Club recital on French Horn, Flugel Horn, Alphorn, and Pocket Trumpet.
- Performed concert tour in Switzerland with IAS Alphorn Ensemble.
- Initiated the 1stRegion II Intermediate Symphony Orchestra and was selected as Conductor for the debut performance.
- Initiated the 1st Region II Intermediate Concert Band and selected as Conductor for the debut performance.
- Initiated and directed the first Viola Orchestra in NJ which performed at the NJ State Teacher’s Convention.
- Selected and appointed to the charter board of the Special Improvement District by the Mayor of Westfield. (The Westfield Downtown Corporation.)
- Developed three levels of concert bands and a Jazz Band at Maxon Jr. High in Plainfield, NJ.
- Appointed to the Board of Trustees of the Westfield Symphony Orchestra, the Westfield Chamber of Commerce, the American String Teachers Association N.J. Chapter, and the College of New Jersey Music Alumni Association.
- Founder and Director of the International Alphorn Ensemble.
- Founder and Conductor of year-round Concert Band.
Back to Top
- Director of Fine Arts – Lanark Camp, Maine, 1960 – 1963
- Director, Summer Music Workshop, Plainfield, NJ in collaboration with the Plainfield Board of Education – 1964 – 1967, 1997 to 2001.
- Director, Workshop for the Arts, Greenbrook, NJ 1995.
- Director, Recreation Department Music Workshops, Westfield, NJ 1975 – 1980.
- Director, Recreation Department Music Workshops, Fanwood, NJ 1995.
- Director, Saturday Music Workshop, Plainfield, NJ 1999 to – 2002
- Director, Recreation Department Music Workshop, Scotch Plains, NJ – 2001.
- Director, Westfield Community Center Senior Citizens Music Workshop, 2002.
- Director of Chester Music Workshop – 2002 – 2004
- Director of Extension Programs at Sundance School, North Plainfield; Redeemer Lutheran School, Westfield; Christopher Academy, Westfield.
EDUCATION & AFFILIATIONS
- Trenton State College: B.A. in Music Education; M.M. in Orchestral Instrument Study and Conducting.
- Rutgers University: Ed.D. in Creative Arts.
- Certifications: Administrator, Supervisor/Principal; Teacher of Instrumental and Vocal Music Grades K-12.
- Advanced Music Studies: At Ryder University, Montclair State University, and Kean University.
- Lifetime Member: New Jersey Education Association
- Member: American String Teachers Association (ASTA)
- Member: Federation of Musicians, Local 16
- Member: National Association for Music Education (MENC)
- Member: Discover Jersey Arts
Back to Top
- Jazz Improvisation with Bert Konowitz at Westminster Choir College, Princeton, NJ.
- French Horn with Mason Jones, Wynnewood, PA., Kathleen & Weldon Wilbur, Montclair, NJ., and Richard Gerstenberger, Douglas College, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Trumpet with Max Pecker, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Snare Drum and Drum Set with Stanley Cole, Roselle Park, NJ.
- Violin with Kato Havas at Oxford, England; Louise Behrend and Alan Lieb at the School for Strings in New York City.
- Viola with Arthur Berger at Trenton State College, NJ.
- String Bass & Cello with Stanley Austin at Tenton State college, NJ.
- Alphorn with Joszef Molnar of Montreux, Switzerland.
- Clarinet with William Humane, Trenton, NJ and various tutors.
- Woodwinds and Brasswinds were self taught – flute, oboe, bassoon, tuba, trombone, baritone.
- Voice with Herbert Pate of Westminster Choir College, Princeton, NJ and Robert Anderson, Trenton, NJ.
HONORS & AWARDS
Back to Top
- Service Award Westfield Community Band Conductor – 1980.
- NJWA recipient of a Town of Westfield Proclamation in honor of the 30th anniversary of the Westfield Summer Workshop – 1984.
- Westfield Chamber of Commerce “Faith in Westfield” award, 1990 & 2001.
- NJWA recipient, Community In Action Award, Nat West Bank – 1995.
- State of New Jersey Senate and General Assembly Resolution – 1996, 1997, & 1998.
- NJWA recipient, a Lucent Foundation Grant and IBM grant, 1998.
- NJWA recipient, Frank & Lydia Bergen Foundation Grant, 1999.
- Downtown Westfield Corporation Plaque – 1999.
- Recipient, Westfield Foundation Grant, 2001.
- Recipient of H.E.A.R.T. grant from Union County Cultural & Heritage Commission – 2001, 2003, & 2006.
- Master student at the Alphorn Academy of Switzerland – Certificate awarded – 1999.
- Ensembles selected to perform at NJ Teacher’s Convention.
- NJWA recipient, New Jersey Council on The Arts grant, 2001.
- NJWA recipient, Westfield Foundation Youth Employment, 2001.
- NJ State Legislature, proclamation, Westfield Community Council Proclamation, 2001.
- NJWA recipient, Exxon Grants – 2005 – 2010.
- 2006 Honorary member and designated Alphorn soloist of the International Bundesbrief Society.
- Recipient, the Medal of Achievement for Contributions in the Arts by the International Templers Society – 2006.
- NJWA recipient of H.E.A.R.T. grant from Union County Plainfield Summer Workshop, 2000.
- NJWA recipient of H.E.A.R.T. grant from Union County Concert Band, 2004.
- NJWA recipient of H.E.A.R.T. grant from Union County Woodland Violin Workshop, 2004.
- Rotary Foundation International, Paul Harris Fellow – 2007.
- Westfield Rotary Club, H. Emerson Thomas Award – 2004.
- NJWA recipient of H.E.A.R.T. grant from Union County, 2008.
- Optimist International Friend of Youth Award – 2009.
- NJWA recipient, Westfield Foundation, 2009.
- NJWA recipient, Westfield Service League, 2009.
- NJWA recipient of the Hyde and Watson Foundation grant, 2009.
- NJWA recipient of the Union County Care for Caregivers Program Grant – 2009.
- NJWA recipient, Johnson & Johnson Foundation grant – 2008 – 2009.
- NJWA recipient, Bartsch Foundation grant – 2008 – 2009.
- Received the Distinguished Music Alumni Award at TCNJ for contributions to Music Education – 2009.
- Westfield Historical Society Award for contributions in the Arts – 2009.
- NJWA recipient of the George A. Ohl Jr. Charitable Fund – 2010.
Back to Top
- Performed in the New Jersey Pavilion, 1964 World’s Fair, NYC. Conducted the Rutgers University/Douglas College Hillel Choir.
- Featured Alphorn Soloist, the Philadelphia Opera House for Ricola, USA as part of their sponsorship of the performance of “The Barber of Seville”.
- Featured Alphornist in commercials and special events for Ricola, USA.
- 1960 – 2010 Perform TAPS every year at Memorial Day and other services.
- 1999 – Ricola, USA sponsored trip to Switzerland to perform on Alphorn and study with world famous Jozef Molnar at the Alphorn Academy in Montreux, Switzerland.
- 1999 – Alphorn holiday performance with Edward Doudin in Doylestown, PA for the Helvetic Society.
- 2000 – Alphorn performance with IAS Ensemble – Rutgers University 26th annual New Jersey Folk Festival.
- 2000 – Featured Alphorn and Bũchel soloist, lecture and recital, Douglas College, New Brunswick, NJ.
- 2001 – Featured Alphorn performance and workshop, East Brunswick Vocational School for Middlesex County Cultural & Heritage Commission.
- 2001 – Featured Alphorn soloist – UN in NYC representing Switzerland for “Year of the Mountains”
- 2001 – Featured Alphorn soloist and workshop at Seabrook Village, Tinton Falls, NJ.
- 2001 & 2002 - Featured Alphorn soloist as guest of Swiss Mission at U.N., in NY.
- 2002 – Alphorn performance with Martina Struck at the United Nations in NY to celebrate admission of Switzerland to the United Nations.
- 2002 – Alphorn soloist – “Nick New” TV with IAS Alphorn Ensemble.
- 2002 – Featured Alphorn soloist workshop at Holy Spirit Club, Union, NJ.
- 2002 – Alphorn concert and workshop with IAS Ensemble – Plainfield NJ Ethnic Festival.
- 2003 – Featured Alphorn Soloist – Folk Art Museum Opening in NY; and Swiss Peaks Festival, Vanderbilt Hall in NY.
- 2003 – Alphorn performance with IAS Ensemble, a pre-concert performance for the Westfield Symphony.
- 2003 – Alphorn performance with IAS Ensemble on Nickelodeon TV show.
- 2003 – Alphorn performance with IAS Ensemble on the Food Channel TV show.
- 2003 – Featured Alphorn soloist playing Mozart Concerto for Alphorn with the Baroque Orchestra of Boonton.
- 2003 – Alphorn performance workshop with IAS Ensemble at the German Club of Clark, NJ.
- 2003 – Alphorn performance and with IAS Ensemble, NJ State German Heritage Festival, PNC Art Center.
- 2004 – Performed at the International Workshop Biathlon Competition with IAS Alphorn Ensemble at Fort Kent, Maine.
- 2004 – Orchestral Instrument Demonstration at Mendham Home School Association.
- 2004 – Alphorn soloist and performance with IAS Ensemble at Fallfest and Springfest for Westfield Chamber of Commerce.
- 2004 – Alphorn performance with IAS Ensemble, Lake Placid, NY at Swiss Acres Inn for TV promotional.
- 2004 & 2006 – Performed at the Swiss Celebration in New York by invitation of the Swiss Mission.
- 2005 – Alphorn Duo with Martina Struck for International gathering at the Swiss Restaurant in Manhattan
- 2005 – Solo French horn with Garden State Brass Ensemble
- 2006 – Alphorn performance with International Alphorn Society (IAS) Ensemble Celebration at National Swiss Celebration at Ellis Island.
- 2007 – Featured Alphorn soloist – promotional for Amstel Beer.
- 2007 – Alphorn performance with Martina Struck for Ricola, USA at South Orange Performing Arts Center – special event “Young Professionals Organization”.
- 2007 – Featured Alphorn soloist, duo with Martina Struck and IAS Ensemble – International Bike Race sponsored by Ricola, USA.
- 2007 – Orchestral Instrument Demonstration – Sundance School, North Plainfield, NJ.
- 2007 – Featured Alphorn soloist for the International Templars gathering in Williamsburg,VA.
- 2007 – Featured Alphorn soloist – Ziegler Papier AG – The Westin Hotel, Boston, Mass.
- 2007 – Featured Alphorn soloist – Metropolitan Pavilion, Holiday High Tech Trade Show.
- 2007 – Featured Alphorn soloist, New York Stock Exchange for Hottinger Capital Corp.
- 2007 – Featured Alphorn soloist and duo with Martina Struck at the World Financial Center, NY for the EMI Corporation.
- 2007 – Alphorn performance with IAS Ensemble for the Musical Club of Westfield.
- 2008 – Alphorn performance with Martina Struck at the Museum of Jewish Heritage, NY
- 2008 – Alphorn performance with IAS Ensemble for annual Swiss Ball at Pierre Hotel, NY.
- 2008 – Featured trumpet player at Echo Lake Country Club for the Westfield Foundation Fund Raiser.
- 2008 – Featured jazz trumpet soloist for Westfield Community Players.
- 2008 – Alphorn performance with IAS Ensemble at the United Methodist Church of Caldwell.
- 2009 – French hornist with the NJWA Woodwind Quintet Performance honoring Historical Societies.
- 2009 – Featured Alphorn soloist, duo with Martina Struck and IAS Ensemble - International Bike Race sponsored by Ricola, USA.
- 2010 – Featured Alphorn soloist, duo with Martina Struck and IAS Ensemble - International Bike Race sponsored by Ricola, USA.
- 2010 – Featured French Horn Soloist playing Mozart Hor Concerto for Scotch Plains Public Schools.
- 2010 – Alphorn performance with IAS Ensemble for Scotch Plains Public Schools.
Back to Top
- 10/03/99 – Home News Tribune – Sandra van Brunt, “Hitting the High Notes”.
- 02/01/01 – The Star Ledger – Lorie Nusso, “His mighty horn makes the Hills Ring”.
- 01/22/01 – Home News Tribune – J.P. White, “Alphorn player blows into town”.
- 03/01/00 – Rutgers University – The Daily Tarqum, “Noted musician presents lecture, recital on Alphorn”.
- 10/13/06 – Suburban News – “Classes, Contests, & More”
- 10/1/99 – Record Press – Westfield – Scotch Plains – Fanwood “High Notes” –Terrence Dopp
- 10/14/99 – The Star Ledger – “Alphorn players study with Swiss” –Andrea Orlando
- 10/3/99 – Home News Tribune –“Two to study at Alphorn Academy in Switzerland”
- 3/28/04 – Sunday Start Ledger –“A bit of the Alps in Jersey” –June Kim
- 2006 – Star Ledger –“Plenty of horn” –Gabriel H. Gluck
- 3/6/04 – Portland Press Herald –“Postcard from Fort Kent” –Glenn Jordan
- 2002 – Westfield Lead –“Schlosberg solos on Alphorn at United Nations Conference”
- 12/12/04 – Church of our Lord Jesus Christ Mount Laurel, NJ –“We want to thank you and your Swiss horn players immensely for performing at our combined Christmas party. The manner in which the performers approached the stage, played such beautiful music, and in wearing of the Swiss costumes was outstanding. You brought the party to a close leaving tears in our eyes” you all truly were “The stars of the show” – Ruth Serafin secretary Mount Laurel Chapel
- 2009/2010 – New Jersey Monthly –
- 3/26/03 – Suburban News –Ted Schlosberg plays alphorn at Grand Central Station
- 9/17/99 – Westfield Record –“Two to study at Alphorn Academy in Switzerland”
- 9/16/99 – Westfield Leader –“Dr. Schlosberg, Westfield student attend Alphorn Institute Abroad” –Kim Kinter
- 9/9/02 Asbury Park Press – Like Oktoberfest without the beer—States German fest a hit in Holmdel
- –Home News Tribune “Majestic Music Lessons” – Paul Sisolak
- 4/30/03 – Suburban News/Prime Time –“Ted Schlosberg to perform with Baroque Chamber Orchestra of Boonton”
- 1/28/04 – Suburban News/ Prime Time –“Theodore Schlosberg forms International Alphorn Society”
- 12/11/00 – Suburban News/ Prime Time –“Schlosberg solos on alphorn at United Nations Conference”
- –Westfield Leader –“New Jersey Workshop For The Arts plans Alphorn Workshop”
- 10/3/99 – New York Times Sunday –“Come Blow Your Horn”
- 9/28/06 – The Star Ledger –“More Than a Throat-Clearing Riff” by Mike Karsnak
- 7/30/05 – Suburban News—“NJWA Alphorn Ensemble preformed in Swiss National Day celebration”